Thursday, August 19, 2010

DATELINE: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina    

Author: Andy      

Gonna keep this relatively short since I'm writing it on my phone. We got up early and took the scenic mountain train from Mostar to Sarajevo. Along the way I realized why there's only two trains per day that make the trip; there's only one track for almost the whole route through the difficult mountain terrain. Upon arriving, Natalie and I went to the National Museum, the History Museum, and a quirky cafe dedicated (tongue-in-cheek) to Marshal Tito. After a quick stop at our hotel, I ventured off on my own to the Jewish Museum and the "Sarajevo 1878-1918" Museum. Of today's four museums, I'd rank them as follows in terms of worthwhile-ness: (1) National, (2) Jewish, (3) History, (4) 1878-1918. My two favorite individual exhibits: At the National museum they had a mind-blowingly large and well-organized collection of minerals, and at the 1878-1918 museum they had the gun that shot Franz Ferdinand to kick off WWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment