Monday, August 9, 2010

Border



Surreal moment of the day: It's 12:38am, I'm standing outside our bus at the Albania-Macedonia border waiting for Albanian customs to clear us for exit. There's a wooden shed about 20 feet away with extremely angry dogs in it behind mesh wire gates. My travel companions, I'm told later, are concerned that I am being torn to pieces by said dogs, if for no other reason than that is probably how I would go out. Anyway, I'm not indeed being torn apart by dogs, and am in fact marvelling at the amazing number of stars visible in the sky and reflecting on how much I like international borders - especially those with a lot of history and tension.

-Andy

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention my assertion that you were not only being torn apart by wild dogs, but your remains were being scattered across the border, thereby necessitating a multinational customs entanglement for us to get your body back to the States.

    ReplyDelete